Wednesday 20 November 2013

Chewy Flapjacks







When I first tried flapjacks I didn’t really care about them. But then I ate once more and once more and every time I liked it more and more. I had only tried the ones that you can find in the supermarket so, I decided to learn how to make them on my own. I read some recipes and I saw that the main idea was 1 part sugar, 1 part butter, 1 part syrup and 2 parts oats. So, I gave it a try with Lorraine Pascale’s recipe  and the result was these delicious, chewy bars. I like that they are sweet because they remind me a little of baklava that I miss here! I kept it simple for now because it was the first time I made them but I think I will experiment more with these treats because we absolutely love them! They are great to pair with a cup of  hot black coffee.


Chewy Flapjacks

175 g butter
175 g muscovado sugar
175 g golden syrup
350 g oat flakes
½ teaspoon ginger

Preheat the oven to 150oC/  300oF. Line a square pan 20x20/ 8 in with baking paper.
Melt the butter in a pan over low heat, add the syrup and the sugar until the batter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
Remove from the heat, add the oats and the ginger and stir. (Now you can add a little something extra if you want like raisins or chocolate chips or nuts etc.)
Pour the mixture in the baking tin and squash down. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes, then turn out to a chopping board and cut in squares. You will get 12 squares.
I cut it in bars and got 8. 



No comments:

Post a Comment